Once again we are asking the community to help stop the proposed chicken sludge tank that will be located on Porter Mill Road. Read the information below, share it with your neighbors and then come to the meeting.
SLUDGE TANK MEETING
WHEN: TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3RD @ 6:30 PM
WHERE: MARDELA VOLUNTEER FIRE CO. 100 Station Street, Mardela Springs, MD
TOPIC: 3 MILLION GALLON OPEN TOP SLUDGE TANK BEING INSTALLED IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD (TANK SIZE IS 150 FOOT IN DIAMETER WHICH IS APPROXIMATELY ½ OF A FOOTBALL FIELD; 23 FOOT TALL)
MEETING IS SPONSORED BY: NEIGHBORHOOD ACTION GROUP (NAG)
TRAFFIC & SAFETY
- Our narrow country roads were not designed for the amount of truck traffic the tank will create (a full capacity of 3 million gallons will require 500 truckloads to offload and 500 truckloads for delivery).
- Riggin Road and Porter Mill Road already require annual patching where the roadbed crumbles. These roads will need constant monitoring for deterioration and will need upgrading.
- Often during winter months these roads remain ice covered for extended periods. This will create an extra safety hazard.
- These roads are often used by bicyclists, joggers, walkers and motorcyclists. Constant truck traffic will be a hazard.
HEALTH & ENVIRONMENTAL
- The site and surrounding areas will see an increase in flies and other insects, vermin will be attracted to the by-product along with seagulls and buzzards. All of which could bring disease to your home.
- The stench will limit the ability to enjoy outdoor time.
- As this will be an open top tank, there is the possibility of overflow and ground water contamination during heavy rains.
- Property values will decrease.
- Real Estate sales will decline.
PLEASE COME AND LISTEN TO THE PROPOSED PROJECT AND GIVE YOUR OPINION.
ANY QUESTIONS? CALL 410-430-0619